Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Tonight's Dinner?

Tonight is a family favorite. Sure it super delicious and sure it is super easy, but the best thing.... super healthy!!! You will LOVE this one. Double the recipe, trust me, you will want leftovers, and for sure if your kids are older than 6 years of age you will need to double it.

Black Bean and Corn Turkey Chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound ground turkey

1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)

2 tablespoons chili powder ****this is what the recipe calls for, but I reduce it to 1/2 Tb, so that it isn't spicy for my kids.


1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced

1 3/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Stock

1 cup Pace® Chunky Salsa

1 tablespoon sugar

1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 bag frozen or can (about 16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained *** I use a small bag of frozen corn and just toss it in frozen

* Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Cook until the turkey is well browned, stirring often to separate meat.
* Stir the stock, salsa, sugar, beans and corn in the saucepan and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling.

I am going to pair this with some delicious corn bread muffins. Enjoy!!!


photo is courtesy of Campbell's Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love this soup, I want to make this like NOW if I had the ingredients!! YUM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kiddos are having dinner with us while Mom goes to Griefshare and I was already planning on chili...guess I'll have THIS chili! Thanks Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried it and LOVED it! I also shared it with my friend in our "lunch swap" and she loved it. Minnesota winters are perfect for soup!

    ReplyDelete