Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Potato Salad

My Mom's Recipe. I wish I could claim it, but I can't. I've tried many places and have never found better. You may want to halve this recipe, it makes a ton! You are going to want to start this recipe early in the day or the night before. Not because it takes all day long to make, but because you need to give ample time for the potatoes and eggs to cool after cooking.

8-10 medium potatoes (also works well with red potatoes)
1 cup of mayonaise
2 TB mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
3 TB dill pickle juice (may seem strange, but it thins the mayo and adds awesome flavor)
1 tsp pepper
salt to taste, because lets face it, I never measure salt
3 Tb finely chopped parsley
3 cloves of garlic minced or pressed
1 cup coarsely chopped dill pickles
8 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped

Put whole, unpeeled, potatoes into a pot of salted water. Bring to boil and let cook until a fork goes into easily, but is still nice and firm. We're not making mashed potatoes after all!

While potatoes cook, prepare the dressing. In a mixing bowl stir together mayonaise, mustard, garlic, pickle juice, lemon juice, salt and pepper, parsley and diced pickle. These ingredients will go into the fridge and sit and meld all their flavors together while you work on the potatoes and eggs.

Boil 8 eggs to a hard boil and chill.

After potatoes have cooled take a knife (I use a pairing knife for this step) and peel the skins off the potatoes. They will fall away easily. Cut into bite sized chunks.

Remove shells from eggs and slice into coarse pieces or finely diced, however you prefer your egg. I love big chunks of egg.

Mix egg in with the dressing.

Shortly before you are ready to serve, toss potatoes with dressing.

p.s. I happen to really like sliced black olive in my potato salad and so I add that in, I think it compliments the other flavors really nicely. Also, if you like a sweet pickle better than dill, just substitute it exactly for the dill pickle and dill juice. I myself like to swith between the two every once in a while.

Enjoy Angela's (Mom's) Potato Salad and please let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I've been adding dill pickle juice to potato and macaroni salad since I saw your Mom do it years ago. Makes both much better and keeps macaroni salad from drying out and needing more mayo.

    ReplyDelete