Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Creamy Tomato Rotini and Meatballs


I'm struggling with this recipe because I can't decide if I can label it "a healthy low cal choice" or not. I did use several healthi-er alternatives to the normal ingredients so lets just call it a 50/50. It was so over the top good. Unfortunately at my house I have what I will refer to as "Pasta Purists." They come by it honestly due to my Italian husband, but sadly for me it means that they don't appreciate when I swap in whole wheat pasta for the good white stuff. To that I say: Tough Noodles, eat it anyway!

*(I'm not too proud to admit I made myself chuckle with my own pun)

Without Further Ado, Creamy Tomato Rotini and Meatballs

1 bag of turkey meatballs (they sell THE most fabulously delicious ones at Aldi)
1 box of whole wheat rotini or penne or spaghetti
1 14 oz can of diced italian style tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
*using tomato sauce and diced tomatoes saves you on calories from spag. sauce
1 pkg. low fat neufatchel cream cheese
1 bag of fresh baby spinach
2 tsp. italian seasoning

Boil a pot of water seasoned with salt and add in rotini.
Cook meatballs per instructions
In a sauce pan mix tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and italian seasoning
After sauce warms, cut cream cheese into chunks and add to tomatoes, stirring until melted in
Add spinach to pot of boiling pasta for last two minutes of cooking and then drain.
Mix pasta/spinach, sauce and meatballs in a large dish and serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment