Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Faux Chipotle Burrito



I was overjoyed when Chipotle opened a branch in my town. I rushed over on opening day, bought a burrito with everything on it, savored every bite, and then spent about two hours laying on my back willing myself to digest that huge amount of food. So, when I decided to attempt a version of my favorite burrito I decided that I was going to have to cut back on the toppings to a number that my poor digestive tract could withstand. I spent a good long while at the grocery store deciding on what would make it into the tortilla and what I would have to sacrifice for the good of my belly. I was optimistic though and I was right! It was delightful and delectable and a number of other adjectives that Fancy Nancy would approve of! So keep in mind that when you are making your burrito, you can add any additional ingredients you like. I was very sad that black beans didn't make my list, and perhaps next time they will.


Ingredient List:

One can of fat free refried beans
1 cup White rice
1/4 cup of Cilantro
1 Lime
1 pkg. of large tortillas
1 cup of chicken broth
2 avocados
1 clove of fresh garlic
2 Tb lemon juice
1 lb. lean ground beef (substitute chicken, steak, pork etc.)
1/2 tsp of cumin
salt and pepper
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or mexican blend, pick what you like

Cook one cup of white rice in pot with 1 cup of water and one cup of chicken broth

Brown ground beef with cumin and salt and pepper to taste

Warm refried beans in a bowl in microwave for 2 minutes

Scoop out inside of avocados with a spoon. In a medium bowl add juice of half a lime, 2 Tb lemon juice, 1 clove of garlic minced, salt and pepper to taste (because I never measure). Mix and smoosh with a fork until it is well mixed.

When rice is done cooking, add minced cilantro and stir gently.

Spread beans on tortilla, then layer rice, ground beef, guacamole and cheese. Fold sides in, and roll up. Enjoy and don't be ashamed to lick your fingers. It's inevitable.

*Optional toppings I passed on:

Home made pico de gallo

Black beans

Diced green chilies

Shredded lettuce

Black olives

No comments:

Post a Comment